Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Collaboration on Art

As a Pre-Medicine student extra free time is a commodity. Being in California for a week allowed me to explore ideas that I have thought about, but not executed. Most of my ideas fall under the category of  self-quantified analytics, which is an individual's ability to view his or her's own progress on any platform. 

I was sitting in my Music History class a few weeks ago and it was the end of a long academic day. It was one of those days that required no thought. I went to school to hear my teachers regurgitate facts instead of inspiring the mind to create. We were having an interesting discussion on why Beethoven became depressed, and I thought to myself if five people communicate about one subject through language can they communicate in any other way? Can people communicate with each other without using figures, body language, sound, or smell?

After dosing off in class and thinking about this topic I began to brainstorm on my notepad. What if two users contributed to one blank canvas? Two minds collaborating to create a piece is a form of communication just like two people contributing to a conversation. They both are adding to a totality of one subject, or one canvas. 

A tablet, or smartphone application that allows two people to collaborate on one canvas with turns is one way this idea can be executed. One user will randomly be selected to go first and have their influence on the blank canvas. Each person will have a twenty second time limit to place something on the canvas. Twenty seconds to draw will limit the amount of material each person can place on the canvas, and also causes each user to anticipate what the other person is placing on the canvas. After going through a series of timed exchanges the piece will be finished when both users decide when it is finished.

This basic platform that allows two minds to collaborate makes culture and language obsolete as a person from Japan can exchange creatively communicate to another person across the world in Brazil. Observing how people begin drawings, and how people react to certain shapes will also give me insight on the human thought process. This can only be accomplished by storing and analyzing large quantities of data. 

No comments:

Post a Comment